You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 2 of 2]

1Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Mars is new home? Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 am

Leo

Leo
Owner
First topic message reminder :

So I read this article and in that article it said we'll be going to mars in 2023.

Mars One will take humanity to Mars in 2023, to establish the foundation of a permanent settlement from which we will prosper, learn, and grow. Before the first crew lands, Mars One will have established a habitable, sustainable settlement designed to receive new astronauts every two years. To accomplish this, Mars One has developed a precise, realistic plan based entirely upon existing technologies. It is both economically and logistically feasible, in motion through the aggregation of existing suppliers and experts in space exploration.
We invite you to participate in this journey, by sharing our vision with your friends, by supporting our effort, and perhaps, by becoming the next Mars astronaut yourself.

Source

What are your thoughts on this? Will we die?

26Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Reverse

Reverse
Retired Staff
No one will ever see it. I know that is 100% true

Would you give me some sort of "proof" that it is possible?

http://www.graphiczone.forummotion.com

27Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Reverse wrote:No one will ever see it. I know that is 100% true
Would you give me some sort of "proof" that it is possible?
That's exactly what people said about planes and then, when they were invented then, everyone was in awe.

As you may not have read it, here's a quote:
http : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars#Changes_Required
The atmosphere of Mars is relatively thin and thus has a very low surface pressure of 0.6 kilopascals (0.087 psi) (0.0059 atmospheres) and a pressure of 0.003 kilopascals (0.00044 psi) at the top of Olympus Mons (22 kilometres (14 mi)); compared to Earth with 101.3 kilopascals (14.69 psi) at sea level and 4.0 kilopascals (0.58 psi) at an altitude of 22 kilometres (14 mi). The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide (CO2), 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and contains only traces of oxygen, water, and methane. Since its atmosphere consists mainly of CO2, a known greenhouse gas, once the planet begins to heat, the CO2 may help to keep thermal energy near the surface. Moreover, as the planet heats, more CO2 should enter the atmosphere from the frozen reserves on the poles, enhancing the greenhouse effect. This means that the two processes of building the atmosphere and heating it would augment one another, favoring terraforming.
If humanity is able to achieve global warming on Earth then, they're also equally capable of performing the same thing on Mars.

There is presently enough carbon dioxide (CO2) as ice in the Martian south pole and absorbed by regolith (soil) around the planet that, if sublimated to gas by a climate warming of only a few degrees, would increase the atmospheric pressure to 300 millibars,[6] comparable to twice the altitude of the peak of Mount Everest. While this would not be comfortably breathable by humans, it would eliminate the present need for pressure suits, melt the water ice at Mars's north pole (flooding the northern basin), and bring the year-round climate above freezing over approximately half of Mars's surface. This would enable[citation needed] the introduction of plant life, particularly plankton in the new northern sea, to start converting the atmospheric CO2 into oxygen. Phytoplankton can also convert dissolved CO2 into oxygen, which is important because Mars's low temperature will, by Henry's law, lead to a high ratio of dissolved CO2 to atmospheric CO2 in the flooded northern basin.
While this one covers how oxygen would be produced and the reserves of carbon dioxide.

There's a number of techniques on that page in regards to terraforming Mars.

Venus would probably be another one to terraform but, it's incredibly high temperatures makes it harder to approach while Mars is currently a better match for current technological means.

28Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Reverse

Reverse
Retired Staff
I still don't think anyone will ever reach mars, It will take millions of years for mars to so call "rebuild"

29Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Reverse wrote:I still don't think anyone will ever reach mars, It will take millions of years for mars to so call "rebuild"
Humanity has managed to do global warming in a matter of hundreds of years so, deliberately heating it up would happen in a much shorter time frame than, the millions of years that you're thinking of.

Another more intricate method uses ammonia as a powerful greenhouse gas (as it is possible that large amounts of it exist in frozen form on asteroidal objects orbiting in the outer Solar System); it may be possible to move these (for example, by using nuclear bombs to blast them in the right direction) and send them into Mars's atmosphere.[7] Since ammonia (NH3) is high in nitrogen it might also take care of the problem of needing a buffer gas in the atmosphere. Sustained smaller impacts will also contribute to increases in the temperature and mass of the atmosphere.
Humans have stockpiled huge masses of nuclear weapons so, that would probably be putting them to a better use than destroying each other in wars.

30Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Reverse

Reverse
Retired Staff
nuclear weapons were made incase of wars, and it will take millions of years to "REBUILD" Mars, listen to what i'm saying, i'm done repeating myself

31Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 pm

chris123678

chris123678
Reviewer
Whether or not new life is founded on any of the planets, I wouldn't go.

Besides I don't believe in life on mars,aliens, that stuff

32Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Reverse

Reverse
Retired Staff
chris123678 wrote:Whether or not new life is founded on any of the planets, I wouldn't go.

Finally someone understands me

33Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:50 pm

chris123678 wrote:Whether or not new life is founded on any of the planets, I wouldn't go.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronauts

34Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Leo

Leo
Owner
Reverse wrote:

Finally someone understands me

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused, correct me if I'm wrong . Chris just said he doesn't believe there's life on mars or aliens etc... but you, Reverse, aren't you the person who's always trying to convince people Aliens exist?

35Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:54 pm

While we may have a colony on Mars in future, it probably wouldn't be the only place where humanity would sit in.
I'm more imagining colonies spread across the solar system which in turn helps lower the chances of extinction.

36Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:27 pm

Reverse

Reverse
Retired Staff
Leo, read what the first sentence said, not the second one -_-

and they'll have to kill me to get me to leave this rock

37Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 pm

The Earth alone probably won't be able to sustain humanity though so, they would probably have to go across the solar system to ease the burden on this planet.

38Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Reverse

Reverse
Retired Staff
IF this does happen (it wont)

only billionaires would be able to afford it.

39Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Reverse wrote:IF this does happen (it wont)
only billionaires would be able to afford it.
Incorrect. The current prices for shipping people to Mars is about $6 billion however, that's based on sending fuel all the way from Earth up into orbit so, it would be much cheaper when asteroid harvesting begins in 2020.

40Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 pm

Leo

Leo
Owner
Reverse wrote:Leo, read what the first sentence said, not the second one -_-

and they'll have to kill me to get me to leave this rock
Okay, that makes more sense. Your post wasn't clear.

41Mars is new home? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mars is new home? Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Additionally, they're also planning depots in space which are supplied by said asteroids in order to refuel spaceships in space.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Social Media Buttons